Thorens TD124 fully restoration
Clinamenaudio makes available a restoration service for Thorens TD124 idler wheel turntable. We offers two kind of restoration: the standard, and the plus
In the standard restoration, that we proposed at the price of 700 euro, we offer the following services/parts:
- Fully dissasembly of the turntable
- Cleaning af all turntable parts, including screws, with Ultrasonic washing machine.
- Chassis painting, in the original colour, or with custom colours on demand without extra charge. Extra charge only for metallized painting ( 40 euro) or pearl painting ( 60 euro) R
- Fully motor restore, with opening , and cleaning. ( in the standard restoration the motor bushings is not changed, but cleaning)
- Replacement of parts usured ( above you can find a detailed list of the replaced parts)
- Re-assembly, greasing of the cinematism, and fine tuning.
Chassis after dissasembly of all parts
Chassis with new painting
Each piece is cleaned with our professional ultrasonic cleaner. Fat residues, oxidations and signs of aging are eliminated.
The engine is opened , inspectioned , cleaning and greasing. The D.C. resistances of the windings are checked. If they should be out of standard, a possible purchase of new windings will be evaluated with the customer, but this is a rather rare occurrence.
The inner of motor cover show the signs of time
Motor parts after a preliminary manual washing
Removing the standard rivets, from the motor carters, is possible extract the bushing and the felt pads and consequently cleaning with the ultrasonic washing machine. The felt pads are cleaned and lubricated. The reassembly of the bushings in the motor carters is carried out no longer with rivets but with stainless steel screws, this up-grade which makes future inspection / revision easier, and certainly, ensuring a safer closure.
Ultrasonic whasing machine
TD124 parts before and after Ultrasonic washing
Diasassembled motor covers, with bushings and felt pad, after ultrasonic whaser
Bronzine rimontate con i loro carter fissati con viti inox M2.5 dopo aver ingrassato e lubrificato i feltrini interni
Motor reassembly after depth washing/ revision
The motor is reassembled on the chassis with a kit of new decoupling rubbers.
All TD124 parts before reassembly
The spindle is inspected, polished and lubricated with oil of adequate viscosity. The original thin thrust pad with his nylon washer, is often deformed, so it will be replaced with our magnificent massive thrust pad made of bronze, with the inner pad made in special polymer named " Arnite ", a high hardness and antifriction plastic material
Original Thrust Pad vs Clinamen Bronze-Arnite
The strobo system is cleaning and a new mirror and strobo window will be installed
The plastic whaser under the idler pulley will be changed, as the little thrust pad in nylon under the step pulley
The electromagnetic brake will be cheched and calibrated.
The Anti - Arc condenser, mounted in parallel with the ON/OFF switch, will be chanced with a new CLASS X2 EVOX-RIFA condenser.
The belt will be changed, as well as the THORENS stikers.
New X2 Anti -Arc condenser
When all the old grease will be removed, and replaced with new, fresh grease and oil, you can be amazed by the sweetness and fluency with which you can operate the levers of your TD124 turntable.
In the following list you can find all the parts that , in the standard restore, will be made/changed:
- new main frame painting
- new giant Clinamenaudio thrust pad in bronze/arnite for the spindle
- new belt
- new strobo mirror
- new strobo window
- new Anti Arc X2 condenser on the ON/OFF switch
- new 33Kohm resistor with cable placed in series with the strobo lamp
- Thorens stikers
- New rubber dampers for the motor suspension
- New plastic whasher under the ifler pulley
- New PVC whaser (thrust pad) under the step wheel
In the following list you can see all the parts that NOT BE CHANGED in the standard restore:
- strobo Lamp
- Motor bushings and related felt pads ( but it will depth cleaning with ultrasonic whashing machine and fine lubrificated)
- Idler pulley (which is inspected and rectified)
- Bubble level
In the Plus restore, that we propose at the price of 990 euro, in addition to what was done in the standard, we changed the following parts:
- Strobo lamp
- Bushing and felt pads of the motor, Swiss made.
- Fully spindle/hub restore. It consist with new sintered bushings placed in the hub, coupled with centesimal tolerance to related spindle.
In the Plus restore is not be changed the bubble level and the idler pulley (which is inspected and rectified)
Thorens TD124 MK1 motor suspension upgrade
In the Thorens TD124 mk1 the motor is suspended with one rubber damping for hub ( 3 total rubber dampers) . In the mk2 version, the damping system will be improvement, so the rubbers damping became two for every hubs ( 6 total rubber dampers). If you want up-grade your motor suspension of your MK1 turntable to the MK2 version, we can do it. But it is necessary to change the three hubs with three longer hubs, and consequently add two rubber dampers for every hub. For this up-grade the additional cost is 90 euro. This upgrade can be done when you make the standard or the plus restore.
In the last years of the TD124 MK2 production, THORENS upgrade again the motor suspension : instead two rubbers damping for hub , was inserted one conical spring. The springs ensures a better level of isolation from the vibrations of the motor . If you want this beautiful upgrade, the additional cost to the standar or the plus restore, is 100 euro.
NB: If during the restore will be damaged parts that needs to be changed, not included in the overlying lists, we will contact the customer and discuss what to do